Student Visa Requirements in Canada

To study in Canada, you will need a Canadian Study Permit (or student visa), which, depending on your home country, will be either an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

  • Canadian Study Permit – this is not a visa, it’s a permit which allows you to study in Canada. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course.
  • Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) – this is a recent requirement for visa-exempt, non-U.S. foreign nationals. Your eTA is valid for five years or until the passport you used to apply for the eTA expires (whichever is sooner), and can be used to travel to Canada many times.
  • Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) – for students who have been accepted into a designated learning institution and are unable to apply for the eTA.

It is important that you make sure you have the correct study permit for your international studies before you leave for Canada.

Ensure you have the right ‘Study Permit’ by getting information from the Canadian immigration authority known as the Immigration, Refugees and Citizen Canada (IRCC). Your counsellor will help you access the latest information and connect you with authorised migration experts.

Applying for your study permit

To apply for your study permit, you will need:

  • An acceptance letter from your education institution, and
  • A valid passport or travel document

You must also:

Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:

  • Tuition Fees
  • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada, and
  • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

You can visit the Government of Canada website for more information about applying for your study permit, including eligibility, fees and processing times.