Employment Prospects in Canada

Want to work while you’re in Canada? Here’s how

Canada, over the past few years, has seen an abundance of international students from around the world and has provided various work opportunities to both, students and working professionals. In fact, many people who arrived as students chose to settle down permanently in Canada.

Working as a student

Working part-time while can be a great way to help with the cost of living in Canada and also gain work experience in your field of study. As an international student in Canada, you can work along with your studies, provided you:

  • have a verified study permit and are a full-time student
  • are studying for either a degree, diploma or certificate course
  • have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Then you can:

  • Work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and
  • Work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

Working after you graduate

A work permit is necessary for working in Canada after completing your studies. One of the most widely accepted is Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PWPP) and comes in handy if you apply to become a permanent resident of Canada later.

PWPP work permits are valid for the same length of time of your initial study program (up to a maximum of three years) and let you work in any occupation, as well as change employers at any time.