Employment Prospects in USA

Want to work while you’re in USA? Here’s how

If you hold an F-1 Visa, you are allowed to work in the United States when authorised by a designated school official, but only under certain conditions and in accordance with complex guidelines and restrictions issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service.

Working as a student

There are several categories of employment available as an F-1 student in U.S. On-campus employment is the most freely available, while off-campus employment must be related to your area of study and be authorised by the Designated School Official.

A student visa generally allows 20 hours of work in a week. However, check the inclusions on your visa before you start working.

Working on-campus

You can work on-campus as a teaching assistant, university bookstore assistant, barista, academic department assistant, or as any other help that your school allows for up to 20 hours in a week. On-campus openings are usually updated on the college job board, campus student centre or the college portal online. Contact your university career services office for more information about the openings.

  • Internship programs
  • Summer jobs
  • Skill-based jobs

Working after you graduate

If you want to stay and work in the U.S. after you finish your study, you’ll need to get a new visa first. Navigating through the U.S. immigration process is often challenging with different visa types, their eligibility criteria and changing legalities.